I’m not sure how many other podcasts are coming out of my workplace, but I can confidently say I know which is the best. I’ve really enjoyed The Next Year Now Podcast which focuses on habits and practices to help you thrive at work and in life. I’ll admit I was skeptical at first, but I can honestly say every show has a good nugget to take away and Tom is an excellent interviewer. You should give it a listen!
Last night was a great reminder of the wonderful family, friends, and music in my life. Steven Wilson, keep on making music and bringing people together.
Awesome to see this video of Penny Rheingans discussing the gap in computing. Though she is no longer at UMBC, she’s still doing amazing work getting more women in the field.
Going to my Mac to do a programming assignment for grad school and I just tapped the screen. That’s what happens when you use an iPad almost full time these days…
(no joke almost just tapped the post button 🤦🏼♂️)
Two nerds talking about to do lists and calendars. We couldn’t resist.
As I was discussing yesterday with a friend when talking about our new iPads, I think I would prefer a iPhone X like screen with 120Hz over an OLED at this point.
Dear phone display manufacturers…
120Hz all the things please
Ok cool that's it thanks bye
— Marques Brownlee (@MKBHD) November 18, 2018
People who don’t see the use case for the “desk” mode of the Smart Keyboard Folio clearly haven’t sat in a recliner with their iPad.
Well this could certainly be an issue… my Yeti microphone lights up when I plug it into the new iPad but it doesn’t get recognized. Glad I haven’t sold my 10.5 yet. Anyone else able to reproduce this issue? I wouldn’t be heartbroken if I have to get a hub with power delivery, but I thought iPad would be able to supply enough power.
Update: Seems like it has something to do with the adapter I was using. Though it seems to work fine on my Mac, it gives me mixed results on iPad. However, a nicer adapter I have for my work computer works just fine, so I think I just need to get one that wasn’t 5 bucks on Amazon so Rachel could use her old printer.
Mind you I was only able to thumb around the iPad for a few minutes while it was still redownloading everything before having to head out but here are some quick thoughts.
- Wow this guy is pretty unwieldy in hand. Notably heavier than my 10.5, which feels impossibly light.
- I like how the keyboard includes the number row. I do not like the delete key location because it totally messes with my muscle memory of how iPads work.
- I can’t wait to get my Apple Pencil and more importantly the Keyboard Folio for this device. I feel like I can’t properly evaluate it and compare it to my 10.5 until that occurs. 1
- Curse Apple for forcing the home indicator on this device. Almost all my apps have not been updated and have the black borders. And some apps that have been “updated” like Facebook Messenger look horrid with a punted black status bar and home indicator strip. I hope this improves quickly.
- I opened Ferrite and am very excited to edit tomorrow’s podcast on this guy.
By the way, I suppose I am officially ready to get rid of my 10.5 inch iPad Pro2. If you’re interested I’m looking to sell it for 700 with Smart Keyboard, Apple Pencil, and the Lightning to USB and Power adapter which is 950+ new from Apple today.
Maryland was deemed gerrymandered af. Glad they plan to fix it. Here’s the thing – it’s a solved problem. If they don’t use a purely algorithmic approach, I don’t think we’re making progress.